This year, Mother’s Day in NSW is back to Covid-19 Restrictions for the weekend. Small family gatherings are still taking place with everyone hugging their mum (or air-kisses for the socially distanced) and hoping to keep them safe and healthy! A nice change to 2020 when I arranged a high-tea to be delivered to my mum and I, we enjoyed this over a zoom call.
While the importance of a mother remains unparalleled, Mother’s Day pushes the world to take one day to celebrate motherhood and to make an extra-special effort to recognise and appreciate our mum’s role in our lives. Happily, this day is extended to generations of mothers – grandmothers, great-grandmothers, stepmothers and mother figures.
Here are 5 ways to make your mum feel loved and appreciated this Mother’s Day and every other day!
1. If your mum is at home, give her a few days off from household chores. She does so much for your family on a daily basis, now she deserves a break. Someone else can take responsibility for making or serving food, clearing and cleaning the dishes, doing the laundry, or other tasks. Volunteer!
2. Cook a special meal for her or set up a virtual brunch / dinner date.
If your mum lives with you, wake her up with a cuddle in bed before breakfast on the verandah or dining table – skip the breakfast bar and make it special. If she lives away from you, arrange with family or a local business and get a scrumptious meal delivered to her. Then get her on a Zoom / phone call. She’s going to absolutely love the gesture and the food!
3. Take her for her COVID-19 vaccination (when available). Not what you were expecting? Hear me out…..this may sound odd but it’s important and the current times call for it. She took you for all your shots when you were little and looked after you when you were unwell. Now it’s your turn. Besides, what speaks louder of your love, affection and concern than looking after her health and wellbeing?
4. Watch a movie or show together. If you’re at home have a movie night complete with cinema treats. If you’re in separate locations, watch the same movie or start a TV series (marathon anyone?) while indulging in a glass of wine or cup of tea. This will give you something to look forward to and chat about.
5. Give her a home salon day! Pop on a face mask, paint your nails, tie up your hair with a hair treatment and it will give all the pampering she deserves. If nothing else, just a gentle head massage will work wonders in making her feel rejuvenated and special.
Finally, what would Mother’s Day be like without an overload of hugs and kisses? Virtual or real. Alternatively, make up your own directions and silly but affectionate things to do, it’s going to certainly make her feel as special as she truly is.
Have a wonderful day xx